Horsham & Crawley Counselling Group is a Community Interest Company that is committed to supporting counsellors in training on their journey to professional qualification.
We usually recruit twice a year – early each year and then again during the Summer for counsellors’ in training who wish to work with adults (18+). We post on our website and via other organisations and training establishments email networks to advise that we are recruiting.
If you contact us outside of these periods we will ask you to reapply when our application process opens. If you are seeking to work with children or young people please email us separately.
Please read this information carefully before applying to ensure that we can meet your requirements and you ours.
Who are we and what is our client base?
Horsham & Crawley Counselling Group provides affordable counselling to adults, children and young people in Horsham, Crawley & the surrounding areas.
We are a team of experienced qualified counsellors and students who offer day and evening appointments to our client base. As an organisation we are registered with the BACP and abide by the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions (July 2018).
We practice in comfortable counselling rooms in Alphacom House in Oakhill Road in Horsham. There is free parking on the streets around Alphacom House, except for before 10am for which we can provide parking permits.
The majority of our counsellors’ operate on a voluntary basis giving 3 hours free counselling per week to support our work. We have a sliding scale fee structure to our clients based on their income. Our clients self-refer or are referred in by their healthcare professionals. We can work either long term or on a time limited basis, dependent on clients’ needs.
What are our requirements for applicants?
- We accept applications only from students who are entering or are in their second year of qualification training.
- We may consider applications from students who do not have any clinical hours but who are able to demonstrate the extensive use of counselling skills in other mental health settings.
- As we are a BACP registered organisation we are orientated towards supporting only those students who are on BACP accredited courses or those courses accredited by other established counselling and psychotherapy bodies by this we mean the NCS, UKCP, the BPS and UKATA.
Length of placement
- As we are an agency that specialises in long term client work we ask you for a commitment to remain with us for a minimum of 18 months (with a 12 week notice period) even if this extends beyond your likely qualification date.
- We have a probationary period of four months for your clinical placement. You will meet with both your supervisor and the clinical management team within this period to ensure that you are progressing as expected and receiving the support that you need.
- You must have the ability to see up to three clients a week voluntarily.
- To give yourself the best chance of getting the experience and clinical hours you need it helps if you can be flexible.
- We permit recording of client sessions with the client’s permission and with appropriate reflection on the client’s presentation beforehand in our supervision
- You are required to be a student member of either the BACP or a similar professional organisation and as such, whilst on placement, you will be expected to abide by the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions (July 2018).
- It is your responsibility to ensure that our fortnightly supervision arrangements meet the requirements of your training course.
- We will consider requests for additional external theoretical supervision but the clinical responsibility remains with HCCG.
- We expect you to be able to make arrangements wherever possible to fit in with our supervision timetable.
- We require 85% attendance at supervision during the year.
- We ask you to meet and sit in your supervision group for a suitable period prior to beginning client work.
Self-care and Personal therapy
- We expect you to take at least four weeks holiday during the year and to give at least one month’s notice of holidays of two weeks duration.
- Proposed holidays of longer than two weeks duration need to be advised and to be discussed with both your supervisor and clinical management.
- We expect students to remain in personal therapy for the duration of their placement with us and actively encourage it beyond qualification.
Relationship with our organisation
- You must show an understanding of our mission and practice in a way that reflects the ethos of our Group.
- You will be asked to attend at least three team meetings a year (held bi-monthly).
- You will be asked to abide by our Code of Conduct.
- We expect you to adhere to our administrative and record keeping processes and respond promptly to requests for information from both the Service Administrators and the Clinical Team.
What else might you need to think about in relation to a placement?
- If you are working full time (as well as training), we will ask how you will manage your time between work, your placements, your training establishment and personal therapy.
- If you are travelling some distance to get to us think about making allowances for journey times and the costs involved and be realistic about your availability.
- Fulfilling your clinical hours’ requirement remains your responsibility and is likely to involve you in obtaining a second placement.
What we offer in return
- As a counsellor in training you would receive from us:
- Suitably assessed clients for you to work with on a timely basis to help you gain your hours
- Free fortnightly supervision with an appropriately qualified supervisor at Alphacom House
- Free insurance cover whilst you volunteer for the Group
- Induction processes and support from the Clinical Placement Manager
- Involvement in team meetings and CPD opportunities
- Access to our Training Fund which supports counsellors into further qualification
- The opportunity to practice with a wide range of presenting issues
- The opportunity to engage with a motivated, friendly and experienced counselling team who are dedicated to continuing to offer support to local residents
- If you are not in possession of an Enhanced DRB check we will carry this out for you (but you will be expected to contribute 50% towards the cost).
How can you apply?
- When we open recruitment we upload the application form to this page for you to complete.